Americade 2020

General questions about Americade and motorcycles.

Moderators: Site Admin, WCLamb

GSinNC

Americade 2020

Post by GSinNC »

Any update or comments on Americade 2020 with regards to the Coronavirus? While it may be a bit early to discuss was just wondering what the Americade Team was thinking ?? I suspect others are interested as well.

Hope you all are staying safe!
Ed Apelian
2016 BMW R1200RT
2018 BMW R1200GS

Bob L

Re: Americade 2020

Post by Bob L »

WCLamb
Staffer

Post by WCLamb »

After 37 years of Americade (nee Aspencade) it took this pandemic of huge proportions to put a wrinkle in the "World's Largest Touring Motorcycle Rally" and change its chosen date from the first full week in June -- to a later date in July.

The logistical problems resulting have challenged the Director in ways none of us can possibly understand. Although many changes have been made, (and will continue to be made) the good people who organize this rally each year will undoubtedly try their best to make it a success again this year. For those who attend -- one can only hope and pray that the bikers' favorite vacation place and time is able to provide something very close to what they have come to expect over the last three-plus decades. The mountains are still there; the roads are still the same; the air is still fresh & pure and smells of pine. The riding will still provide the same freedom and enjoyment of being in a favorite place. It's all a matter of being ultra-flexible and accommodating the changes. With the same level of hope, the staff in their white hats will do their best to accommodate the needs of the attendees.

By pushing the dates back a month-plus, your rain gear should be able to stay packed away in your saddlebags!

wildwillie
Site Admin

Post by wildwillie »

You nailed it, WC!
“ The logistical problems resulting have challenged the Director in ways none of us can possibly understand. Although many changes have been made, (and will continue to be made) the good people who organize this rally each year will undoubtedly try their best to make it a success again this year.”

Christian and the office staff have been jumping through hoops to try to keep Americade’s 38 year tradition intact. Trying to coordinate hundreds of vendors and manufacturers needs and travel schedules is no easy task. For those who attend, it will be a much-needed celebration of riding in the Adirondacks.

Mainah

Post by Mainah »

I really hope the Americade team can pull this off smoothly. I think we were all caught with our guard down this year and without getting political I hope we can survive this. I worry about those who are still in the workforce and those who will be joining it. What will be left when they are allowed to reopen? I think I'll try a quick ride before the snow tonight. That is probably the only thing that hasn't changed this year. I wish the best for all of you.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

GSinNC

Post by GSinNC »

I can't imagine the plethora of issues in changing the dates. I hope it comes off and if it is a go I will certainly try to attend. For me it's about the friends and my "Americade family". And I certainly hope WC is correct that we may see a dry Americade. How unusual will THAT be !! HA!
Ed Apelian
2016 BMW R1200RT
2018 BMW R1200GS

FrankJ

Post by FrankJ »

So, is Americade going to be only comprised of Tour Expo and Bike Demo Rides? Unguided bike tours don't count, because your on your own.

Since social distancing with crowds is important, doesn't appear anything else could, or would be allowed

Frank

Ryck

Post by Ryck »

Really? With just a month notice?

Ryck

Post by Ryck »

How will Americade 2020 handle registration cancellation and refunds?

WCLamb
Staffer

Post by WCLamb »

Ryck wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 6:35 am
Ryck -
I believe everything will be done on-line. No more waiting in a queuing line to sign the liability waiver nor checking on the contents of your package.

Registration will be completed in a one-step fashion which will delight many who complained in years past, and cancellations will also be done via electronic communication with the office. Funds will be restored with the exception of a mini cancellation fee which the bank imposes.

Ryck

Post by Ryck »

WCLamb wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 8:50 am
Ryck wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 6:35 am
Ryck -
I believe everything will be done on-line. No more waiting in a queuing line to sign the liability waiver nor checking on the contents of your package.

Registration will be completed in a one-step fashion which will delight many who complained in years past, and cancellations will also be done via electronic communication with the office. Funds will be restored with the exception of a mini cancellation fee which the bank imposes.
Ok I'll check the online registration for the cancellation provision. If not, I'll look for online chat help.

I'm sorry I'll miss Americade 2020. I can't take off on the new dates. Notice was too short.

WCLamb
Staffer

Post by WCLamb »

Ryck wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 1:09 pm
I'm sorry I'll miss Americade 2020. I can't take off on the new dates. Notice was too short.
Ryck -
It's a shame the timing won't work for you. One reason the rally's been held the same week each year for the last 30-some years is so attendees could plan their vacation time well in advance, especially for those who needed a long lead time in their vacation planning. It's also one of the reasons that the timing and venue have remained constant over the years, even when "external influences" (who will remain nameless here) threatened to force changes to Americade's M.O. and have it move elsewhere or to a different date.

It is especially distressing when one has a long string of years of attending Americade put together -- and one hates to break that tradition. I know from 20 years in a row that sometimes factors (like a death -- or two -- in the family) can interrupt the string of years.

But an adjustment to one's mindset can allow overcoming the loss of continuity and you can get over it. In the realm of important things in one's life, it becomes less significant.

Ryck

Post by Ryck »

WCLamb wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 7:11 am
Ryck wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 1:09 pm
Ryck -
It's a shame the timing won't work for you. One reason the rally's been held the same week each year for the last 30-some years is so attendees could plan their vacation time well in advance, especially for those who needed a long lead time in their vacation planning. It's also one of the reasons that the timing and venue have remained constant over the years, even when "external influences" (who will remain nameless here) threatened to force changes to Americade's M.O. and have it move elsewhere or to a different date.

It is especially distressing when one has a long string of years of attending Americade put together -- and one hates to break that tradition. I know from 20 years in a row that sometimes factors (like a death -- or two -- in the family) can interrupt the string of years.

But an adjustment to one's mindset can allow overcoming the loss of continuity and you can get over it. In the realm of important things in one's life, it becomes less significant.
Very well said. :)